View of Great Tibet
The fifty plates of this collection, reproducing view of Lhasa and of towns other places of interest in Central Tibet, are enlargements from negatives made in 1900 and 1901, on behalf of the Imperial Russian Geographical Society, by M =Ovshe Norzunov and M = Gombo- ch’jab Tsibikov.
Both gentlemen are lamaists; Norzunov – a kalmuk of the Astrakhan horde and Tsibikov – a K’ozi Buriat. Both had hand cameras, called “Self-worker” by P. Pipon in Paris, supplied with Anastigmatic lenses by Goerz Series III, N00. The size of the original negatives is 9 x 61/2 centimeters. Norzunov (marked further [N.]) used Lumiere plates, Tsibikov (marked further [Z] ) [illegible] plates of “The Britannica Works”.
The explanations of the plates have been given by M. Tsibikov and by some other Buriats and Kalmuks well acquainted with the sacred site of Central Tibet. Most of the Tibetan names are given in the translation used in L. Austin Waddell’s “Buddhism in Tibet or Lamaism” London 1895 and those not to be found in that book have been transcribed on the same principles, as nearly as it could be done phonetically as the name was pronounced by the informants.
N. 1 Lhasa from the East. [N.]
In the background and nearly in the center is the
These handwritten notes accompany a set of 50 photographs taken by two Mongolian Buddhist lamas, G. Ts. Tsybikoff [Tsybikov] and Ovshe (O. M.) Norzunoff [Norzunov], who visited Tibet in 1900 and 1901. The notes were written in Russian for the Imperial Russian Geographical Society in St. Petersburg by Tsybikoff, Norzunoff, and other Mongolians familiar with Central Tibet. Alexander Grigoriev, corresponding member of the American Geographical Society, translated the notes from Russian to English in April 1904.