December 11, 1937. Zanzibar (city): Looking northwest across the town which is divided into two parts by a channel and turning basin, the foreground being composed of closely packed residential huts and in the distance the modern buildings of the business section. The population is about sixty thousand and the town lies 26 miles distance from the mainland port of Bagamoyo. The inhabitants, Arab, Indian, and Negro, have been an element of considerable importance in East African trade and exploration. There was a United States consul here as early as 1836 and the name 'Merikani' which is applied to cotton goods and blankets on the east coast is a testimony to the enterprise of the early American traders here. The city was the headquarters of the Arabs who ravaged East Africa, for slaves and ivory during the major part of the 19th century and was the focus of exploring and missionary work for the interior. Henry M. Stanley's exploring parties were always chosen from Zanzibaris. 2500 feet. 07:08.