View of the entrance gate to Schlitz Park, located on Walnut Street, between 7th and 9th Streets. The Schlitz Brewing Company purchased the seven-acre property in 1879 and created one of the most attractive parks in the city. The park was illuminated by 350 gas lamps. It was used for sports and cultural activities. Acquired by the city as Lapham Park in 1909 and 1910, the land is currently part of Carver Park.