Built in 1870, it is one of the best preserved Gothic churches in the city from the period immediately following the Civil War. When the church was being completed, there were concerns that its tall spire would fall over. The spire and church have survived, even through a bad 1947 fire. The church is built of Cream City Brick, but today is painted red. The church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.