Lion Store was a department store located at 512 Mitchell Street (now 908 W Mitchell Street). Isaac Goldmann, who came to Milwaukee as a boy from Russia, founded the store in the late 1880s. The building was destroyed in the fire in 1919. Isaac Goldmann was able to rebuild the business after the fire. Lion Store was opened at the same location until Goldmann's retirement in 1928. There was another Goldmann's department store located across the alley at 530 Mitchell Street (now 930 W Mitchell Street). Goldmann A. & Sons was founded in the mid 1890s by Isaac's father, Abraham Goldmann. The store is still in business, known as Goldmann's Department Store.
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee acquired the collection through the Assistance of Polanki, the Polish Women's Club of Milwaukee; and Roman Kwasniewski's daughter, Adele, and her husband, John Kaczmarowski. Representative Walter Kunicki and Senator John Plewa secured state funding for the processing of the collection.
Archives. University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries
The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System