Fifth Ward Square Park was located at National Avenue and Hanover Street (now National Avenue and S 3rd Street). The park does not exist anymore. Holy Trinity Catholic Church is visible in the background. The parish was founded in 1849 as an offspring of St. Mary's Church. It served the German speaking population on the South Side. The church was renovated many times and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Renamed as Our Lady of Guadalupe, it now serves Spanish speaking parishioners.
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee acquired the collection through the Assistance of Polanki, the Polish Women's Club of Milwaukee; and Roman Kwasniewski's daughter, Adele, and her husband, John Kaczmarowski. Representative Walter Kunicki and Senator John Plewa secured state funding for the processing of the collection.
Archives. University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries
The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System