Originally the site of a Native American village, and later Jacques Vieau's trading post, these 29.8 acres became Mitchell Park in the 1890s. In 1898 a horticultural conservatory was added to the park. The park is now 60.8 acres.
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee acquired the collection through the Assistance of Polanki, the Polish Women's Club of Milwaukee; and Roman Kwasniewski's daughter, Adele, and her husband, John Kaczmarowski. Representative Walter Kunicki and Senator John Plewa secured state funding for the processing of the collection.
Archives. University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries
The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System