A set of 50 photographs and associated handwritten descriptive notes, acquired from the Imperial Russian Geographical Society in St. Petersburg. The complete notes, "1904 View of Great Tibet", are available at: http://collections.lib.uwm.edu/u?/tibet,94
Tashi-lhunpo[Tashi-lhumpo] from the South. [N.]
On the extreme right end of the picture is the Jong or citadel of Shigatse. Inside the walls of the monastery stand in a line five tombs of the deceased Pan-ch'en Rin-po-ch'e [Panchen rinpoche] with roofs in Chinese style. The dark (red de facto) low building standing in advance of the tombs between the second and the third is the grand congregation hall, Nagk'an [or Nag-pa Ta-Ts'an]. The huge Kiku Tamsa described and figured by Turner in his "Account of an Embassy to the Court of the Tashoo Lama in Tibet" … London: 1806 is on the right end of the monastery.
"Tashi-lunpo (bkra-sis Lhun-po) or the 'Heap pf Glory', the headquarters of the Pan-ch'en Grand Lama, who to some extent shares the Lhasa grand lama the headship of the church. […] The monastery forms quite a small town, and not even lamas other than established church can stay there over-night. (p. 270).
Waddell, L.A. (1899). The Buddhism of Tibet or Lamaism. London: Luzac & Co. Available through Google Books at: http://books.google.com/books?id=V-DJFl8VBhEC&pg=RA1-PR7&d